https://pimentocheese.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/IAE_9317-1.jpg 848 1280 https://www.pimentocheese.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/websitepalmetto-cheese-logo.png 2017-08-11 16:55:412020-03-27 14:01:53Hoecakes (Southern Johnnycakes)
Hoecakes (Southern Johnnycakes)
Jump to recipe
Johnny Cakes (Hoecakes)
- 1 Cup Fine Ground Corn Meal
- 1 Cup Self Rising Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Buttermilk (Milk with 2 tsp vinegar can be substituted)
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Butter, melted
- 1/2 Cup Palmetto Cheese - Original, Jalapeno, or Bacon
- Oil for frying
Save to BigOven
These are great by themselves or spread them with a little Palmetto Cheese, honey, or preserves if you like.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients except for the Palmetto Cheese and Oil and mix those together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined.
- Mix in the Palmetto Cheese.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add two tablespoons of the batter to the heated oil.
- When golden brown, flip over onto the other side and cook until golden brown. It's always good to test one take make sure they are completely cooked.
- Once cooked, place onto a plate with a paper towel or napkin to drain excess oil.
- Serve immediately.
- Batter can be kept in the refrigerator up to two days.